Monday, June 13, 2011

Sermon for 29 May 2011, Easter 6A


The Rev. Paul J Cain
John 14:15–21
If You Love Me…
Sixth Sunday of Easter (A), 29 May 2011, Installation of Congregational Officers
Immanuel Lutheran Church, Sheridan, WY

In the Name of Jesus. Amen.
The Lord is known for making promises. Not only that, the Lord keeps all of the promises He has ever made. Sometimes, He calls upon His people to make promises, acknowledging the gifts He has given. Romans 10:9 says, “if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Today, we once again confess the Nicene creed, confirming with our hearts, minds, and lips that we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior. We also hear the promises of those installed as officers of the congregation and LWML.
Like Romans 10:9, the Holy Gospel appointed for the Sixth Sunday of Easter begins with another “if.” 15[Jesus said:] “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” When we do what Jesus told us to do, we show we love Him. When we don’t…we show we don’t love Jesus. With that, this could have been the shortest sermon you ever heard. Jesus has more in store for you.
15[Jesus said:] “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.
18“I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”
“If” assumes that not everyone will love Jesus. It says that even Jesus knows that the love of some will grow cold. In the Seven letters to Seven Churches in Revelation, Jesus calls upon Christian congregations to repent, return to their first love (Him), and do the good works they did at first. He knows those who are lukewarm in their love and says, “I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot!” Love that is hot feels deeply, acts boldly, and cares strongly. And such love shows. Love that is cold at least has the potential to be hot again. Lukewarm love takes for granted what has been given, how the Lord has blessed. Lukewarm love is useless. Jesus calls upon those congregations to remain steadfast in His truth and His gifts, to hate sin and false teaching, and to abound in love and good works. In those seven brief letters in the first three Chapters of Revelation, there is something for every Christian and every Christian congregation to learn about love.
Christian love is faith in action. Faith acts. It doesn’t sit on its hands. Faith prays but also does. “Pastor, is it O.K. to pray that we do well on our test?” That was the question I was asked about once before a final Confirmation exam. My answer: “Sure, it’s O.K. to pray that you do well, but not if you’re using prayer as an excuse to get out of studying.” That answer probably applies to every opportunity the Lord gives you to demonstrate Christian care and concern. Prayer is a wonderful thing, especially prayers of thanksgiving, and prayers for patience, wisdom, and prayers for stronger faith. Yet, prayer can never be a substitute for what the Lord has already equipped us to do. I was once taught to “Pray as if it all depended upon God. [And] Work as if it all depended upon you.” Not bad advice!
Jesus will not leave you as orphans. This is His promise. I told you He had more in store for you, His people! He is sending a helper, He says. From our perspective, He has already sent that helper, the Holy Spirit! He will renew your youthful strength—like that of the eagle! “And He will bear you up on eagles’ wings, Bear you on the breath of dawn, Make you to shine like the sun, And hold you in the palm of His hand” (LSB 727 Refrain). Physical strength is a good thing. Even more important to the Lord is faith and trust in him.
Jesus will not leave you as orphans. This is His promise. He gives to all Christians the Holy Spirit to dwell within them. The Holy Spirit creates faith in each of us. He has not abandoned us. He has blessed us beyond what we’d like to admit. Therefore, we as Christians, either young or old, should not run away from home—the house of the Lord. That would be childish. The Lord calls for childlike, trusting faith, never childish behavior. We stay on the path He gives us, just like the Psalm says: Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. No matter how young or old you are, the Word is your light. That’s why you go to church. That’s why you study the Bible at home yourself, with your family, and with your church family and pastor here each week. That’s why you find a sister congregation when you go off to college, go on vacation, or even move elsewhere.
We have precious promises in Christ. He also tells us about the dangers you will face in life. Alleluia. We know that Christ being raised from the dead will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. Alleluia. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. Alleluia. His love always abounds for you. He loved you enough to be born, live as a human being like us, and die an unjust death on the cross. His Resurrection from the dead demonstrates the Father’s love for you. And because Jesus rose, you too will rise. Alleluia! Christ is Risen! He is risen indeed! Alleluia!
When I was in Sunday School, I asked my teachers, “How will I know when I’m a grown-up?” I was told, “When you can sing “Jesus Loves Me” with the little kids and not think it’s strange.” Childish so-called “faith” giggles and is offended at such a thought. Childlike faith can be found at any age. Childlike faith is actually a very mature faith because it holds on to Jesus for dear life no matter what happens all the way to eternal life. Today’s Gospel text should remind all of us to sing “Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so.”
When we do not do what the Lord asks of us, we show that we don’t really love the Lord. We prioritize things that are really important to us. And the things that are really important to us can become idols to us. They can become substitute false gods which cannot save.
When we make God’s priorities our priorities, when we make God’s mission our mission, when we forgive others as we have already been forgiven, and when we respond to His love for us in Christ Jesus, we show that we love our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
15[Jesus said:] “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.
18“I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” Amen.
In the Name of Jesus. Amen.