Wednesday, March 21, 2012

15 December 2011 Funeral Sermon for Marcia Nicks


The Rev. Paul J Cain
John 14: 1-14
My Jesus
Funeral Sermon for Marcia Nicks
Thursday of Advent III, 15 December 2011
Immanuel Lutheran Church, Sheridan, WY

In the Name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

“My Jesus! My Jesus!”
The members of Marcia’s family could year the joy of faith in these words, some of the last words of her life on earth.
Hebrews 13:14 declares, “For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come. “Marcia took great comfort in Jesus’ promise to prepare an eternal home for her: “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”
Marcia was a life-long member of Our Savior Lutheran Church in Torrington before transferring here to Immanuel, a sister congregation of Our Savior, by her own request this summer. Our Savior is the congregation where Marcia raised Shari and Julie in the Christian faith and where she herself grew in faith and knowledge of Christ.
Marcia had challenges in this life. Many might say that she had more than her fair share. Marcia also abounded in the peace of Christ that surpasses all understanding. Christ gave her peace the world cannot give, peace the world cannot even understand.
She loved her family, and in so doing she was reflecting the love that Christ had and still has for her. And she especially loved her girls and her grandchildren. Marcia’s smile and faith both endured sad days, health problems, and a miraculous 75 days without food. It was a privilege to bring her the food of God’s Word in regular devotions since she relocated to Sheridan.
Marcia was washed in the blood of the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, who takes away the sin of the world, including her sin and yours. She held to the promises the Lord gave to her in His Word, thankful for the robe of Christ’s righteousness that was hers as a gift in Holy Baptism because of the death and resurrection of Christ. She cherished her Bible. She chose the hymns and readings of today’s service through notes she had left in her Bible, in an afternoon of prayer, song, and Scripture in early October, and by how she prepared to meet her Lord Jesus in her last moments.
Philip said to [Jesus] him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.
“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.”
In her last hours, Marcia heard her name called. That in itself was not unusual, for even family members knocked or called her by name before entering her room when she was resting. This time, the call of her name was different. It wasn’t the voice of either daughter in person or on speakerphone. As her family gathered around her bed, she said, “Huh?” in response to hearing her name called, and looked around the room. “Did you hear your name called?” family asked. She nodded yes. “Was it Jesus?” Yes, Marcia nodded. “When you see Him, it’s OK to go.” This happened once, then twice, not unlike the call of Samuel in the Old Testament.
Consider the comforting promise and declaration of Christ Himself in John 10:27-28: “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.”
The second time Marcia heard her name called, she was more verbal in her answers. “I hear Him. Where is He?” Moments later, she was heard to say, “My Jesus! My Jesus!” with all the joy and excitement of a little girl running to a loving parent. “Do you see Him?” was the obvious question family asked. “Yes,” was her answer. “Is He standing here next to us?” The answer was a smiling yes. It seemed that she was shielding her eyes from a bright light only she could see. And she also said, “Hurry, hurry,” in eager expectation to be with her heavenly Bridegroom, Christ, motioning to her hair as an invitation for family to gently brush her hair to meet Jesus in person on her heavenly birthday, her true homecoming.
Jesus said: In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.”
And Marcia did. And she now enjoys paradise with her Jesus—our Jesus—our common Lord and only Savior.
Marcia wanted to be prepared for the Last Day or when the Lord took her to Himself, whichever came first. That is why her personal Bible is so well-loved. That is why she put so much heart and prayer and thought in to helping plan this very service, her final Christian witness to you, her dear family and cherished friends. If you wish to honor her, prepare to meet Jesus the same way she did, hearing the Word, receiving the Lord’s gifts and raising her children as Christians faithfully adoring Christ the Lord, the king of angels, Son of the Father now in flesh appearing! She knew that Christianity was more than Christmas. Her salvation was won by Jesus’ sacrificial death and victorious resurrection from the dead so that we may be with Him, freed and forgiven forever.
Christians know that “when you lose yourself, you find the key to paradise” (“Knee Deep,” The Zac Brown Band) in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

In the Name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.